The programme supports research and innovation projects that work towards low-emission steelmaking and a just transition for coal regions, thereby contributing to the European Green Deal.
For the period 2021-2027, the European Commission proposes to increase the RFCS’ annual budget to EUR 111 million. Once endorsed by the European Parliament and the Council, the Commission will be able to invest as of 2021:
- EUR 40 million per year in collaborative research in the coal and steel sectors, and
- EUR 71 million per year in breakthrough technologies leading to near zero-carbon steel making by 2030 as well as research projects for the coal sector managing the just transition of former coal mines or coal mines in the process of closure.
Industry, universities, research centres, and other interested stakeholders have until 22 September 2021 to apply for funding in the following areas:
- Coal research projects
- Coal pilot and demonstration projects
- Coal-accompanying measures
- Steel research projects
- Steel pilot and demonstration projects
- Steel-accompanying measures
How to apply
Applicants must submit their proposals by the call deadline of 22 September 2021 via the Funding & tenders portal. To apply, please consult the 2021 RFCS call for proposals.
- Publication date
- 30 June 2021