The annual EuroGEO workshop brings together European players interested in and actively contributing to the Global Earth Observations System of Systems (GEOSS).
This edition will focus on the EO-based solutions to support the European Green Deal while bringing the European community actively contributing to the Group on Earth Observations (GEO).
The aim is to:
- look for synergies across projects and initiatives;
- offer networking opportunities to the participants; and,
- discuss how Europe can contribute to the international effort.
Overall, the event will help shaping further the development of the EuroGEO initiative.
Read this CORDIS Results Pack to learn about the EU-funded projects related to the EuroGEO initiative.
- Green economy
This year the workshop is organised by the European Commission (EC) and the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation with the support of MINES ParisTech.
The event will be fully online.
See the agenda and register!
Monday 20 September 2021
10:00 -12:00 CEST: Welcome session
- Welcome by France (Claire Giry, French General Directorate of Research and Innovation)
- Welcome by European Commission (Patrick Child / Philippe Tulkens, Directorate General for Research and Innovation)
- Welcome by Group on Earth Observations (Yana Gevorgyan, GEO Secretariat)
- Overview of the EuroGEO workshop (Isabelle Benezeth, French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation)
- “The sky is NOT our limit anymore” (Nancy Vermeulen, Founder Space Training Academy)
- A fast-evolving space environment
o NN, EC DG Defence Industry and Space
o Juliette Lambin, Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales
o Amanda Regan, European Space Agency
- Examples of France support to Earth observation: Space Climate Observatory, Data Policy and Open Science, French Global EO policy
o Laurence Monnoyer-Smith, Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales
o Marin Dacos, MESRI
o Selma Cherchali, Centre National d’Etudes Spatiales
- Session closing and wrap-up (Jan Ramboer, EC DG Research and Innovation)
Tuesday 21 September 2021
09:00 – 12:30 CEST: Advances made in EuroGEO to deliver user-oriented solutions
Recently completed or about to be completed projects will have the opportunity to present live demonstrations of the solutions they developed or to present posters triggering interactions with the audience in a virtual setting. The session will close with an open discussion on the challenges faced and the solutions adopted to move the services and showcases to pre-operational or operational modes.
IMPORTANT! Note that during the registration you can indicate, at the latest on 9 August 2021, whether you want to contribute to this session.
14:00 – 16:00 CEST: Invited event “Technology transfer in the EO sector in Europe”
The goal of this webinar is to introduce participants to key elements and concepts in the domains of knowledge and technology transfer.
- Technology Transfer (Christian Hackl, European IP Helpdesk)
- Intellectual property and innovation in the Earth Observation sector – the case of e-shape’s IP and innovation office (Lefteris Mamais, e-shape project - Evenflow)
Wednesday 22 September 2021
10:00 – 12:30 CEST: Implementing EuroGEO, new opportunities
The session will focus on the implementation of EuroGEO via the Horizon 2020 R&I Programme and the upcoming opportunities Horizon Europe will offer. Since the last EuroGEO Workshop that took place in June 2019, new players have engaged in recently granted projects addressing GEO engagement priorities such as the SDGs, the Paris Agreement, the Sendaï Framework and the new fourth priority on urban resilience. Special attention will be given to efforts for liaising better with new communities or initiatives like the national statistical institutes or the UN Decade for the Oceans, in line with the GEO Lead co-chair goals and objectives.
- Welcome and introduction to the session (Jean Dusart, EC DG Research and Innovation)
- From Horizon 2020 to Horizon Europe: new opportunities
o Marjan Van Meerloo, EC DG Research & Innovation
o Doris Marquardt, EC DG Agriculture & Rural Development
o NN, EC DG Defence Industry and Space
- H2020 last call initiatives addressing GEO engagement priorities - Integrated GEOSS climate applications to support adaptation and mitigation measures of the Paris Agreement (representatives from the HARMONIA and EIFFEL projects)
- Pitch Session: introducing new players
o Ground station.dot Space (Martijn Seijger)
o Space Cooperate Europe (Emmanuel Mondon)
o Selected actions on FPCUP France (NN)
o DLR (NN)
o World Energy Meteorological Centre (Alberto Troccoli, University of East Anglia)
- Bringing new opportunities and actors to EuroGEO
o UNGGIM: Europe and EuroGEO (Pier-Giorgio Zaccheddu, BKG Germany)
o UN Decade on Ocean and Blue Planet (Audrey Hasson, Blue Planet Secretariat)
o Supporting the implementation of GEOSS in the Arctic in collaboration with Copernicus (representatives from the Arctic PASSION project)
o EO Solutions for regional and local communities (Roya Ayazi, NEREUS)
- Open discussion “Identifying new opportunities and areas to explore” (Jean Dusart, EC DG Research and Innovation and Thierry Ranchin, MINES ParisTech)
Thursday 23 September 2021
13:30 – 15:45 CEST: EuroGEO Evolution
Regional GEOs play an increasing role in GEO bringing the GEO assets to the local communities and taking regional needs, savoir-faire and experiences to the attention of the entire community. The European Green Deal, the digital transformation of our societies and the COVID-19 have radically changed our environments, calling always for more evidence-based decisions, and offering therefore unexpected perspectives to the EO community. Time has come to look how to adapt our current settings to this new environment.
- Welcome and introduction to the session (Massimo Craglia, EC DG Joint Research Centre)
- EuroGEO State of play and planned evolution – discussion (Jean Dusart, EC DG Research and Innovation and Thierry Ranchin, MINES ParisTech)
- EuroGEO and the EC Knowledge Centre on Earth Observation (NN, EC DG Joint Research Centre)
- Panel Discussion: Linking EuroGEO to other Regional Initiatives (representatives from AfriGEO, AOGEO, AmeriGEO, EuroGEO, GEO Secretariat)
- Discussion: Anchoring EuroGEO to the GEO Work Programme and the GEOSS infrastructure
o Human settlements: a new engagement priority for GEO (Evangelos Gerasopoulos, National Observatory of Athens)
o EO supported biodiversity and EBV operationalisation (Ulf Mallast, Michael Mirtl, Nestor Fernández)
o Earth Science ESA/EC DG RTD Cooperation: towards a Science Plan in support to Destination Earth (NN, ESA)
o EuroGEO in a revised GEOSS infrastructure setting (NN)
- Conclusions of the workshop (Isabelle Benezeth, French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation)